Authors, how was your last shepherding experience?
Here is a scale of shepherding excellence to think about.
Shepherds, where do you think your "sheep" would rate you?
1. Oh, I had a shepherd?
2. My shepherd made contact, and promised to send comments.
3. My shepherd actually sent a set of comments.
4. My shepherd was positive and supportive.
5. My shepherd was prompt.
6. The comments from my shepherd had substance; not just grammar and wording.
7. My shepherd gave me two or more sets of comments.
8. I learned more about patterns from my shepherd.
9. I learned more about my own topic.
10. My shepherd helped me learn more about myself.
Shepherds, how well did your "sheep" do?
Authors, where do you think your shepherd would rate you?
1. Never heard from the author.
2. The author apologized for not responding.
3. Got one revision -- just before the shepherding deadline.
4. Ignored all my suggestions.
5. Was clueless.
6. Really did try to improve the patterns.
7. Sent two or three revisions.
8. I learned more about patterns from the shepherding experience.